Monday, February 16, 2009

Another Rough Light Study


I realize that I haven't been writing any commentary to accompany the work I have been posting so far. But I figured that no one really looks at this blog anymore since it has been so long since I have posted here. So without further delay let me update you and the rest of my non existant reader base. The past few months I have been making it my goal to improve my ability to comprehend and render color. I have been looking at a few books and getting some really nice tips from my office buddy McLean Kendree. He is a wonderful fellow from the land of Ringling. McLean is proof of why Ringling has such a great reputation for preparing their illustration students for the real world. Check out his blog, I bow to you good sir.

This is yet another light/color study. In the past few images I started to realize that I wasn't pushing the saturation enough, making my paintings look a bit chalky. I tried to push that aspect of this piece. Looking at this piece now I realize I am not using enough color variation within the piece and I believe that could be flattening the overal look of the piece. I have been trying to understand how to effectively us the concept of a triad color palette in a piece. In future pieces I will have to conjour up some reference if I am going to get into more detail. Right now I feel that the lack of detail makes the picture look bland. But hey, another painting awaits to explore and improve!

-Stevo

1 comment:

Graphics Janitor said...

And the blog's audience does cheer :) Nice work so far.